Monday 11 April 2011

Trail Magic Abounds

After a rough day out of Hot Springs (I spent the better part of the morning falling down rather than walking for some reason), Day 2 showed much improvement! Two previous thru-hikers, FAL (Free At Last) and Hercules, fed us an amazing meal of waffles, black bean veggie rice, brownie sundae, coffee and soda! Their house was gorgeous, as well. They were very friendly folk, and their trail magic was much appreciated! Later that day, we crossed over an exposed ridge which really distracted me! It was my longest mile yet (talking me almost an hour), because I spent so much time taking pictures and just digging the experience. The next day was just as fabulous ("cruisy", as Enzed would put it)! I passed Canman early in the morning and he provided me with my favorite quote on the trail so far, "Even an old, fat man like me is happy as hell out here!"
Finally, yesterday happened. First, I had a horrendous night's sleep with about 3 1/2 hours' worth. Then we slogged 20.7 miles to a shelter. I still did it well within our usual 2 hour/mile time limit, but- man, alive- was it hard! Twice I seriously considered hanging my hammock and calling it a day. But, with a couple of great views and even more trail magic, I persevered. Quiet Paul, an '07 thru-hiker, had a breakfast of eggs, hash browns, orange juice and more waiting just 2 miles down the trail. Half way through the day, Ruben Two's wife stopped us at a road crossing with snacks and Powerades! Trail Magic is a wonderful thing!
I've got a new group to travel with now, and while I miss the others, these guys are awesome, too! Redwood and Lego are a couple of friends doing the trail together from Ithaca, NY, Cascade and his dog, Sierra, are from Washington St, there's still Enzed, and Rocket and her husband, Spaceman, have been tenting near us and having lunch with us for a couple days now. We're all bunked up in Uncle Johnny's Hostel for the night, and Daniel's coming in for one last visit before I get too far north. This is a very cool place with very cool people; just what a hostel should be!
Tomorrow we head out for a 5 day haul (it will be a haul- the hills look awful!) towards Hampton, TN. And, we'll be in Damascus (trail heaven) this time next week!

"Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - found in FAL and Hercules' house

No comments:

Post a Comment